The more than 100 million Americans who suffer from allergies and asthma are most active in the spring. May has been designated National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America because of this.
By informing our clients about pests like cockroaches, dust mites, and rodents that can aggravate asthma and allergy symptoms inside their homes, Santee Pest Control, your friendly pest, mosquito, and termite control – and grounds care – specialist, is taking part. We can also offer some preventative advice.
Rodents and cockroaches are notorious for being unclean and infested with disease. You might not be aware that they can also present significant, and even fatal, threats to people. In fact, cockroach allergens are present in 63 percent of American homes, with the majority being spread by cockroach saliva, droppings, or exoskeletons shed during molting.
- Proteins found in cockroach saliva, droppings, dead corpses, and shed skins are known to cause allergies and exacerbate asthma symptoms.
- Infestations of cockroaches put people, especially children, at risk for allergic and asthmatic reactions. According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, one in five American children had extreme sensitivity to cockroach allergens.
- According to the National Pest Management Association, cockroaches carry 33 different types of germs, including Salmonella and E. coli, as well as six parasitic worms and more than seven other human illnesses.
- People whose immune systems overreact to the venom from some species of stinging insects, including yellowjackets, wasps, bees, and fire ants, may experience severe reactions. Itching, hives, shortness of breath, and even anaphylaxis—a serious allergic reaction that may be fatal—are examples of symptoms.
Getting Rid of Allergies Caused by Pests
You can take precautions to reduce your exposure to the allergens produced by pests in order to prevent allergies caused by pests. Santee Pest Control advises the following measures:
- Maintain cleanliness in your home: To get rid of potential allergens, regularly clean your home. To get rid of dust, pet dander, and insect debris, vacuum your carpets, rugs, and upholstery often. Maintain proper hygiene by often washing your curtains, bedding, and stuffed animals in hot water to kill dust mites and get rid of allergens. To reduce pet dander, a common allergen, you should often clean your pets’ bedding.
- Seal entry points: Check your home for any gaps, fissures, or openings that pests could utilize to enter and seal those areas. To keep pests out of your home and lower the risk of exposure to allergens, seal these access points.
- Eliminate excess moisture: Keep your home dry and well-ventilated to deter pests like cockroaches and dust mites, as well as mold. Dehumidifiers should be used in spaces that are prone to excess moisture, such as restrooms or crawl spaces.
- Use allergen-proof covers: To stop dust mites from colonizing and manufacturing allergens, enclose your pillows, mattresses, and box springs in allergen-proof covers.
- Clean as you go: Clutter should be kept to a minimum since it gives bugs somewhere to hide and places to collect dust. Cleanliness and organization are key to preventing the accumulation of allergens.
- Use artight storage: When taking out the trash, be sure to do so quickly and to use tight-fitting lids on your trash cans to prevent the attraction of pests like cockroaches.
- Trim and prune plants: Control outdoor pests by cutting shrubs and trees away from your home to keep a tidy yard. Get rid of any standing water and food sources that can attract bugs.
If you think you might have a pest allergy, Santee Pest Control advises that you speak with a doctor. They can accurately diagnose you, offer you advice, and suggest suitable management techniques for allergies.
If your bug problem or allergies continue, call California’s dependable, amiable pest treatment specialist. We can evaluate the issue and offer efficient, needs-specific pest management solutions. The extermination experts at Santee Pest Control appreciate your assistance in preventing undesirable pests from entering your house and yard until the next time.